1. Describe the recent shift in global community’s mindset about surgery and its value in the health system.
a. Explain why surgery has been traditionally ignored and why that thinking is misguided.
2. Be able to name key players in the Global Surgery space (hint: G4 Alliance, ICES, WHO, Safe Surgery 2020, GIEESC)
3. Be able to define key terms and abbreviations – such as SAO, Catastrophic Expenditure, Impoverishing expenditure, Surgical volume, DALYs, Global Burden of disease
4. Be able to explain name crucial statements in the global surgery conversation, such as:
a. The amount of surgery taking place globally and regionally
b. Amount of people lacking access to surgery
c. Amount of people forced into poverty due to seeking surgical care
d. Amount it would cost to scale up surgery levels to an adequate amount
5. Be able to name the Lancet Commission on Global Surgery (LCoGS) key message 5
Last Updated: June 24, 2022